At long last, I managed to finish development on a first cut of the filetagger application. It took far longer than I really wanted it to, because I spent an inordinate amount of time whipping the wxpywf framework into shape (about a month) and so the whole "app a week" thing is more like "an app per five weeks" or so. Ha.
But you know what? I did it! I actually brought a major new module of the wftk, one I'd been thinking about for three years, to the point where it can be used. Wow.
So I'm glad I took the time to do it the way I wanted to do it.
Here are some of the features of wxpywf I created and used for this app:
There's a lot of ground still to cover. But in my experience, that kind of ground can be covered in small, manageable steps after initial usability is there. And initial usability is definitely there. I feel really happy about this.
I posted v1.0 of the filetagger in the new PyPop format. The XML definition of the app is 310 lines and about 12K. I think this could end up being quite useful.
The code is here -- I don't have the actual running PyPop up to run it, though. I still want to get registration of file extensions working -- oh, yeah, and what there is of the help system. The help text is included but there's no command to display it yet.
If I end up defining a basic XSLT processor on top of the XMLAPI, this could start to get really interesting...