Welcome to the new blog. This is an idea I've been kicking around since the day I heard the term "web log" (we hadn't abbreviated it), but I just haven't had the time until now. You know how it is.
The idea of the blog is simple. I've been programming for a very long time now, and I like to write about it. So when I discovered that after a significant hiatus from daily programming, my Muse had reawakened, I resolved that from this point on, I would spent at least a small amount of time each day programming something. The results have been gratifying; I've completed a number of small tasks I'd been wanting to resolve for a while.
And hence this blog. This is the place where I intend to present said small tasks, on a daily basis, for your perusal and, dare I hope, your amusement. I hope you enjoy it; I know I'm going to.
Some of the things I want to cover in the near future are, in no particular order,
- A few Word macros I've written to fix things up after TRADOS macros break them
- My experiences getting Python to read and write TTX files (a file used by TRADOS -- I earn my money with translation nowadays, mostly, so that's why translation tools come up so often
- This very blog, which is a freaking Rube Goldberg contraption of Perl scripts and Makefiles
- The amazing Toon-o-Matic, which I use to spin out graphics for my Web cartoon -- remember, the Toon-o-Matic is the work of art; the strip is just a by-product, like hot dogs
- GUI builders for wxPython, something I've been hacking around on for a while without discernable progress (but I hope that will be changing)
- Workflow applications, of course.
That ought to keep me in posting fodder for a few months, eh?