wftk core: notification method adaptor
[ back to the core ] [ discussion ]
A notification method adaptor is responsible for interfacing with a system used to notify
people or other agents about events. This is really, really open-ended. Obvious candidates
here are email and line-based logs, but syslogging is also a good possibility, or who knows
These are the functions exposed by a notification method adaptor (well, OK, they're not there yet):
||Initialize adaptor instance|
||Clean up instance before shutting down|
||Return XML describing the adaptor|
||XML alert structure
Datasheet for interpretation of values (if any)
|Perform the notification|
- NOTIFY_smtp (connects to SMTP server to send email notifications)
- (TODO) NOTIFY_odbc (writes to a database)
- (TODO) NOTIFY_mapi (uses MAPI on Win32 to send email notifications)
- (TODO) NOTIFY_log (writes notifications to a log file)
- (TODO) NOTIFY_stdout (writes notifications to stdout, as in the prototype)
- Other possibilities would be integration with Outlook or something, probably. Is that MAPI?
This code and documentation are released under the terms of the GNU license. They are
additionally copyright (c) 2000, Vivtek. All rights reserved except those explicitly
granted under the terms of the GNU license. This presentation was prepared with
LPML. Try literate programming.
You'll like it.