The Vivtek Literate Programmer
V A P O R W A R E W A R N I N G
OK, this is another one we want and will eventually break down and develop.
The features of the VVLP will be:
- Basic literate programming functionality in an OLE-aware editor.
- Project and build management.
- Change control, and better yet, change documentation!
- Ability to view and edit the tangled code at any time, or switch back to the literate version.
- Reverse engineering mindset, so that non-literate programmers don't have to change, and so that existing projects don't suffer.
- Pattern-oriented documentation and code generation tools. Watch this space for further details, but you're going to like this one.
- Open API for code analysis tools (allows indexing of definition and reporting on the results of pre-parsing.)
What? You ask why? Let's just say:
We're sick of doing it wrong!
Programming has got to change. It's too darned hard. And literate programming would appear to be
one approach to making programs easier to understand -- but existing tools are completely unusable
by today's standards. The typeset output is beautiful, but if it's not browsable and easy to
compose, I for one will never get to writing it.
We want things to be different. We want documentation of code to be easy to do, easy to
store without losing it. And maybe some of it can be automatic so you don't have to worry
about it at all.
Watch this space for further details, and be sure to contact us if you have
any particular requests or questions.