Toonbots message board: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

toonbots home ] [ message board archive ] [ the toon-o-matic software ] [ forum ]
mouse Tue Sep 4 13:28:06 2001
pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

"bear sings gripping verses so far" - i love it!

of course anything that references the classic irrationality of pogo is starting out good.

however, i apparently spent the weekend in some sorta time warp - coulda _swore_ that strip wasn't there before today......

Brother Emsworth Tue Sep 4 15:50:41 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

> Of course anything that references the classic irrationality of Pogo is
> starting out good.

Well, one could argue that there was a definite rationality in "Pogo," even in some of the nonsense, but the song parodies were usually just intended to be enjoyed due to the joyous absurdity of them (but that's just my opinion.)

Wreck us all with Bot's Con Carne! Ha la la, window fall, And wolverines too!

> However, I apparently spent the weekend in some sorta time warp - coulda
> _swore_ that strip wasn't there before today......

It wasn't. Honorable meta-cartoonist, omnipotent within his own realm, is not above using an earlier date for belated strips, for reasons of his own. Still, very amusing strip, and like ol' mouse, I'm not averse to a good "Pogo" reference myself (though technically Pogo rarely participated directly in the fractured carols, in as far as I know, as Kelly usually used Churchy, Albert, Owl, or the others to argue over the mangled verses in those sequences.)

mouse Tue Sep 4 18:58:48 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)


> (though technically Pogo rarely
> participated directly in the fractured carols, in as far as I know, as
> Kelly usually used Churchy, Albert, Owl, or the others to argue over the
> mangled verses in those sequences.)

oh details, details -- besides, as i recall, pogo was usually in there playing the .... whatever that sorta flutaphone-shaped wind instrument was.

Brother Emsworth Tue Sep 4 22:23:37 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

> oh details, details -- besides, as i recall, pogo was usually in there
> playing the .... whatever that sorta flutaphone-shaped wind instrument
> was.

Person who point out details like clumsy masseuse... sometimes rub others wrong way.

Pogo did sometimes play the clarinet or whatnot, but at first the blurb seemed to me to be implying that Pogo and Churchy were the ones who concocted the mangled lyrics. Then again, now that I think about it, the use of "ambiance" suggests that this was not an attempt to claim anything of the sort, but merely to saythat the lyrics reminded one of Pogo and Churchy, which tehy proabbly would, no matter what role each might have played in the holiday musicales which were a vital hallmark of the Okee Fenokee Swamp's holiday culture, and which have influenced numerous readers for decades, as the memories can still light up a wan face on a dewey December morn. Ah. Sniff.

mouse Wed Sep 5 13:13:50 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

and you say _my_ stuff is hard to follow..... (guess i should add: :-) but i hate emoticons. you'll just have to get used to my deadpan humor)

i personally believe that by using the word 'ambience' the metacartoonist was in fact pointing to his invocation of the entire spirit of pogo (the hero of the eponymous strip, which in turn invokes all the other characters including specifially churchy, who of course was noted as the premier poet of the gang).

and i was sorta thinking more of the final xmas panel, with all the swamp-dwellers assembled for music and frivolity.

on further thought, i believe the instrument was some species of horn.

Brother Emsworth Wed Sep 5 15:52:12 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

> and you say _my_ stuff is hard to follow..... (guess i should add: :-) but
> i hate emoticons. you'll just have to get used to my deadpan humor)

My apologies. I should have known better than to post at that time of night, judging from the abominable typos in that last post. Again, I hope there's no hard feelings over my much earlier comments (and I honestly wasn't trying to be rude or anything over it.)

> i personally believe that by using the word 'ambience' the metacartoonist
> was in fact pointing to his invocation of the entire spirit of pogo (the
> hero of the eponymous strip, which in turn invokes all the other
> characters including specifially churchy, who of course was noted as the
> premier poet of the gang).

Or possibly Michael chose the word merely because it seemed appropriate to the pseudo-intellectual tone which he generally tries to convey in those blurbs, and possibly even in the hope that a Jihad member or two might try to probe further into the statement and become mildly confused and debate the matter to no avail.

mouse Wed Sep 5 16:42:14 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

> My apologies. I should have known better than to post at that time of
> night, judging from the abominable typos in that last post. Again, I hope
> there's no hard feelings over my much earlier comments (and I honestly
> wasn't trying to be rude or anything over it.)

no no no - i just couldn't resist teasing you. (and i even put caps in a post just for you. didn't michael tell you? i _told_ him to tell you.)

> Or possibly Michael chose the word merely because it seemed appropriate to
> the pseudo-intellectual tone which he generally tries to convey in those
> blurbs, and possibly even in the hope that a Jihad member or two might try
> to probe further into the statement and become mildly confused and debate
> the matter to no avail.

now see, i would have classified it as more cognointellectual, or even perhaps cryptocognointellectual, as representative of the meta-cartoonist's drive to explore the underlying veins of irrationality linking such apparently disparate elements as christmas, communism, and swamp-dwellers, expressed in the epinicion (like that? i just found it in a crossword) of the blurb. and i'm sure michael has no interest in creating _mild_ confusion.

(did you say 'to no avail'? or 'to no end?')

Brother Emsworth Wed Sep 5 20:57:41 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

> no no no - i just couldn't resist teasing you. (and i even put caps in a
> post just for you. didn't michael tell you? i _told_ him to tell you.)

No, Michael told me rather little apart from a decidedly brusque "Ease up!" and words to that effect. I had noticed one post of that sort, though, and the gesture is very much appreciated, thanks.

> now see, i would have classified it as more cognointellectual, or even
> perhaps cryptocognointellectual, as representative of the
> meta-cartoonist's drive to explore the underlying veins of irrationality
> linking such apparently disparate elements as christmas, communism, and
> swamp-dwellers, expressed in the epinicion (like that? i just found it in
> a crossword) of the blurb. and i'm sure michael has no interest in
> creating _mild_ confusion.

Santa Claus like Lenin... jolly and Red (HOORAY!)

Not sure which crossword you're working, but I can't seem to locate "epinicion" in either dictionary. As for Michael having no interest in creating mild confusion, the mere fact that he produces Toonbots would seem to belie that.

> (did you say 'to no avail'? or 'to no end?')

You make an excellent point. "To no end" seems far more appropriate under the present circumstances.

mouse Wed Sep 5 22:44:09 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)


> Not sure which crossword you're working, but I can't seem to locate
> "epinicion" in either dictionary. NY Times, of course: epinicion \Ep`i*ni"cion\, n. [NL., fr. Gr. ?, fr. ? belonging to victory; 'epi` upon, to + ? victory: cf. L. epinicium.] A song of triumph. [Obs.] --T. Warton.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc. via www.dictionary.com, the on-line crossworder's friend. that was the clue, as i recall the answer was 'ode', which really doesn't seem to me the same at all. (did you know that an 'ode factor' is one who traffics in odes? did you know it was even possible to traffic in odes? i love dictionaries)

As for Michael having no
> interest in creating mild confusion, the mere fact that he produces
> Toonbots would seem to belie that.

emphasis on _mild_ - i think he's hoping for total chaos, myself. (can't you just hear him giggling as he reads over all this stuff?)

Michael Thu Sep 6 00:31:45 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

> (can't
> you just hear him giggling as he reads over all this stuff?)

I sure can.

Michael Tue Sep 4 23:53:01 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

> however, i apparently spent the weekend in some sorta time warp - coulda
> _swore_ that strip wasn't there before today......

It was still Monday when I posted the strip. Therefore it was Monday's strip. Right? Today's will be posted ... um, well, if I whip one out REAL FAST there's still time today, but generally I figure if I've started on a given date, that's reason enough to call it.

What do you want, consistency? You *do* have a good imagination!

mouse Wed Sep 5 13:16:55 2001
Re: pogo and churchy and bears, oh my!(9/1/01)

> What do you want, consistency? You *do* have a good imagination!

i used to work for a guy who once assured me (with a straight face) that people were logical and consistent, and computers were not. he had a PhD in computer science, so i figured he was probably half right.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.