The Vivtek Distributed Literate Programmer
V A P O R W A R E W A R N I N G
OK, this is a product we're still thinking through. The features of the DLP will be:
- Complete end-to-end project management for distributed groups. (A good match for open software.)
- Change control, and better yet, change documentation!
- Literate programming tools built in, to allow integration of documentation with code.
- Reverse engineering mindset, so that non-literate programmers don't have to change, and so that existing projects don't suffer.
- Pattern-oriented documentation and code generation tools. Watch this space for further details, but you're going to like this one.
- Open API for code analysis tools (allows indexing of definition and reporting on the results of pre-parsing.)
- Integrated content search of all text and documentation.
What? You ask why? Let's just say:
We're sick of doing it wrong!
Programming has got to change. It's too darned hard. Have you ever tried
to understand some of the GNU code? Or the Postgres source? You can, sure, but it'll take you a long
time. How do you even know which parts are significant?
We want things to be different. We want documentation of code to be easy to do, easy to
store without losing it. And maybe some of it can be automatic so you don't have to worry
about it at all.
Watch this space for further details, and be sure to contact us if you have
any particular requests or questions.